Do you wish doctors still made house calls? Well, you’re in luck! We make it easy to get the same benefits as a house call from your computer or phone.
Telehealth visits are virtual office visits that let you video chat with a Village Pediatrics physician from the comfort of your home or wherever you are with internet access! If you’re out of town or stuck at home, you don’t need to go to an expensive emergency room or visit with a physician who doesn’t have access to your child's health records. You can video chat with one of our physicians through the Patient Portal – a place where you already receive messages and lab results from your child's primary care physician. A physician can diagnose conditions and prescribe medicine from this visit with you.
If you’ve never had a telehealth visit, you may still have some questions and we’re here to fill you in! Check out the answers to some of the most common questions below:
Can I see my child's doctor for a telehealth visit?
Most likely, yes! Some physicians prefer in-person visits, but many of our physicians offer telehealth visits. Even if your primary physician doesn’t offer this service, you can choose to video chat with any of our other physicians who do! You can find a list of physicians who offer these types of visits here.
What can I virtually see a physician for?
There are many things you can speak with a physician about during a televisit! Some of these include:
- Colds and coughs
- Pink eye
- Follow-up visits
- Sore throat
- Medication refills and checks
- Urinary tract infections and more
There are some instances where your physician will ask you to come in, so make sure to discuss with your scheduler what type of visit is best for you.
What technology do I need for a visit?
Many laptops and tablets are already equipped with everything you’ll need for your televisit! Just make sure that you have:
- Internet access
- Video accessibility on your computer or smartphone
- Speakers or headphones
How much does a telehealth visit cost?
A telehealth visit is an office visit – except you don’t have to come into the office– so it usually costs the same as an in-person visit! These appointments are billed to insurance in the same way as a traditional visit, so they are typically covered by your insurance identically to an office visit.
Is my information private?
Yes! Your telehealth visit is done through your secure Patient Portal account. Your visits are still private and between you and a Village Pediatrics physician.
I’ve scheduled my appointment. Now what?
You’ll receive a few reminders (by email and phone) about your appointment. When it’s time for your appointment, you can video chat with your doctor one of two ways!
- Video-capable computer
- When you log into the Patient Portal, you should see an appointment available on the dashboard screen. If you don’t, don’t worry! Your appointment is available under the “Upcoming Appointments” link on the navigation panel.
- You’ll be able to enter the virtual waiting room 30 minutes before your appointment starts, and when your physician is ready, you’ll see a button prompting you to “Start televisit.”
- Log into the Healow app and click on “appointments.” Find your upcoming televisit (it will be highlighted in red), follow the prompts, and you’ll be connected with your physician!
Do you have other questions about telehealth visits? Call (214) 473-2200 to speak with a scheduler and see if a telehealth visit is the right option for you!